Thinking about investing in Instagram verification, but not sure whether it’s worth it?
Although the verification requirements on Instagram are pretty challenging, the rewards definitely make up for the effort. Here are twenty reasons why it’s absolutely worth getting verified!
1. Visitors assume you’re famous and noteworthy Typically, Instagram verification is reserved for large brands, celebrities, and well-known public figures – such as famous journalists or important politicians.
The average Instagram user is aware of this, so upon seeing the verified badge next to your username, they will assume that you’re famous, influential, and important in some way.
There’s a good reason behind this assumption, too: one of the main requirements you have to meet to get verified on Instagram is that you’re notable. In this context, being ‘notable’ means that you need to be a person or brand of public interest, with a series of mentions and features in the press and other media.
2. You appear reliable and authenticIt’s no secret that in order to get verified on Instagram, your account has to be authentic and unique. Although the blue badge doesn’t mean that Instagram is willing to promote your content, it does imply that the platform has verified your identity and deemed you reliable and authentic enough to merit verification.
How does this help you grow your Instagram presence? From the point of view of a visitor to your profile, it gives you a certain amount of authority: visitors know to expect high quality, consistent content from you.
3. Verification proves you’re trustworthy If you’ve gone to the trouble of getting your Instagram verified, it immediately lets your audience know that you take responsibility for your content and your behaviour on the platform.
This leads your audience and your peers to see you as trustworthy. First of all, they know that your real identity has been confirmed by Instagram during the verification process, so there’s no doubt that you are who you say you are.
Secondly, a verified Instagram account is immediately understood to be an official communication channel for a brand - whether a personal one, as in the case of influencers, or a corporate one. And it’s obvious that as a brand, you can’t afford to post poor quality content or act irresponsibly. This is especially true because your verification badge can be revoked by Instagram if you violate community guidelines.
As a result of the above, the verification badge allows your audience to be confident that you won’t be posting spam or inappropriate content.
4. Increased profile viewsEven if we don’t follow all of the latest celebrity gossip, most of us like to keep up with trending public figures, be it celebrities or other popular people.
As we’ve already established, verification implies that you’re a person of public interest – an important brand, influencer, or celebrity. When Instagram users come across your name on the platform, they’re far more likely to view your profile if they see the verified badge.
Most of the time, this will be out of pure curiosity – they’ll want to find out who this person is and why they’re important enough to have a verified Instagram account. The end result is increased traffic to your account, which – assuming that your content is relevant and high-quality – leads to higher engagement and follower count.
It’s important to note that the blue checkmark badge indicating a verified account will appear next to your name not only on the content you post, but also in any comments you make. Therefore, other users don’t need to have direct contact with your own content to know that you’re verified.
5. You’re easier to findAnother factor driving increased traffic to your account is that verification makes you easier to find.
Verified profiles appear at the top of search results on Instagram, which substantially increases your profile views and, if all goes well, engagements. When searching for content or information, the vast majority of internet users pick one of the first results, rarely scrolling down to see the rest.
This search result advantage is also very helpful when people search for usernames similar to yours. No matter how unique your Instagram username is, chances are there will be at least a couple of other users with similar nicknames – it’s simply unavoidable, given that there are over 1 billion monthly active users on the platform.
Showing up first in search results will help visitors separate you from other users with similar names. In addition, if someone misremembers your username or makes a typo, your profile will still be easily found.
6. More followersAll of the above benefits of being verified on Instagram result in a higher follower count. With more traffic to your profile, a celebrity persona, and an authentic, trustworthy account, you can definitely expect more followers.
Importantly, verification is one of the best ways to boost your organic Instagram growth. Even if you’ve had to hire a PR agency or otherwise invest money into getting your account verified, the growth you will experience as a result will be completely natural.
In contrast to services that let you buy followers, with a verified account, you can be sure that the new followers you gain will be genuinely interested in you and your content.
This authentic interest is important for a number of reasons. In particular, people who follow you as a result of organic Instagram growth will like and comment on your posts, bringing your engagement rate up. Secondly, your new followers will be real people, far less likely to have their accounts banned than the bots that can follow you in exchange for a fee.
7. Protection from impersonation and fraud This is perhaps the most obvious reason to verify your Instagram account, since that’s the entire purpose behind verification. Using a verified badge, you will ensure that no one can impersonate you or steal your content.
Interestingly, this is precisely why Instagram only verifies accounts of ‘notable’ public figures: the platform assumes that they are the only people worth impersonating. On a superficial level, it makes sense: why would anyone go to the trouble of impersonating a regular person, and what sort of damage would it really do?
That being said, protecting yourself against impersonation is always worth the effort, no matter how famous (or not) you may be. After all, we can all fall prey to a scam or a malicious campaign directed against us, and a strong online presence makes us all the more vulnerable to attack.
If you’re unlucky, one controversial comment on a large platform like Instagram can be enough to spark dislike towards you in someone. You don’t have to be a famous celebrity to fall victim to attempts to discredit you as a brand or as an individual. Verification is the best way to protect yourself against it.
8. Your content seems unique and exclusiveCelebrities and public figures use Instagram to share exclusive images, videos, and insights about their professional and personal life. The same is true of top influencers – Instagram is a platform for them to share their unique content with the world.
Because of the above, and the association between verification and being famous, a verified badge will make your content appear unique and exclusive. Visitors to your profile will – quite reasonably – assume that what you post is more important, original, and valuable than someone with a similar following, but without a verified account.
Getting your Instagram verified therefore has a positive impact on how your visual content is perceived and how authoritative and important your comments and opinions appear.
9. Higher engagement rateIf you’re wondering how to increase engagement on Instagram, getting verified is a guaranteed method. Studies show that verified accounts have a higher engagement rate, regardless of the exact number of followers. Whether you have a verified account with 1k or 100k followers, verification will increase your engagements at various rates.
Of course, you’ll still need to post high-quality content to provide the opportunity for your audience to engage with you, but verification will definitely increase the number of likes, shares, and comments.
10. Increased brand awarenessAnother reason to invest in Instagram account verification is the boost to brand awareness that it offers.
Usually, only established brands and celebrities have verified Instagram accounts. Put simply, the moment your account is verified, you become a brand – rather than a regular individual.
Upon seeing a blue badge, people will associate your username with a brand. For instance, let’s say you leave a comment on another user’s post. Other users browsing the comments will see your username with a verified sign next to it, and will instantly assume that you’re a brand, rather than a casual Instagram user and a private entity.
This can help your branding in several ways. For example, the blue badge is a relatively rare sight on Instagram, so it naturally draws attention – therefore, other users are more likely to remember your username (which is also your brand) than those of others’.
11. Higher action limitsAs any reasonably active Instagram user will tell you, the platform has a series of action limits in place. Activities such as follows, likes, comments, and DMs have hourly or daily restrictions, to prevent spam and bots getting out of control.
The specific limits may be slightly different for each user, as determined by Instagram’s algorithm based on overall account activity and popularity. To give you a rough idea, the average Instagram limit on follows is 7 to 13 per hour (or 100 to 150 per day), and on comments – 2 to 5 per hour (or 20 to 30 per day).
If you’re serious about organic Instagram growth, you’ll notice that these can be pretty restrictive. Here’s where another reason to get verified on Instagram comes in: verified accounts have higher action limits, to the point where the restrictions virtually aren’t noticeable.
Thanks to this verification benefit, you can focus on growing your Instagram following and engaging with your audience without worrying about hitting your action limit.
12. Easier to get verified on FacebookAlthough Facebook is not necessarily the platform of choice for influencers, it’s certainly big with companies and corporate brands in general. And while local businesses can get a grey checkmark on Facebook quite easily, full verification – and the blue badge – are much more demanding.
If you’re already verified on Instagram, however, full Facebook verification should be positively easy. Instagram’s requirements for verification are the highest out of all social media sites, so you should already have all the publicity and information that you need in place to get verified quickly and easily on other platforms, including Facebook.
13. Bigger choice of brand dealsFor both influencers and corporate brands, marketing deals come with significant benefits.
A brand deal (also known as influencer marketing) involves a company sponsoring an influencer in some way to promote their product or service. To give a simple example, a mascara manufacturer might sponsor an influencer who does a lot of makeup tutorials to recommend her product to her followers. Depending on the specifics of the deal, the influencer would receive money or free makeup products in exchange.
Brand deals are a big milestone and a great source of income for influencers, and an excellent marketing tool for companies. Having a verified Instagram account hugely increases your chances of securing a brand deal, both as an influencer and as a company.
Naturally, larger companies would only be interested in working with established influencers who have verified accounts, as verification proves that the profile is authentic and trustworthy. Influencers, on the other hand, will only trust Instagram verified companies for brand deals.
14. More collaborationsBrand deals aren’t the only way to work with other brands and influencers to improve your reach and grow your Instagram account. Collaborating with peers – so for instance, other influencers – is another great method.
If you have a verified account, you’ll greatly increase your chances of finding partners for successful collaborations. In fact, you’ll likely find that you don’t need to reach out to other influencers – they’ll be the ones contacting you.
Your verification badge gives you both authority and credibility, so it makes sense that other users would be confident about working with you.
15. Increased confidencePromoting a brand or building an influencer career can be stressful. Though gaining followers is, to some extent, the whole point of being an influencer, many people get self-conscious when broadcasting directly to a large audience.
Yet confidence is one of the most important characteristics of a successful influencer. At the end of the day, being an influencer is all about letting your personality and your charisma shine – enough to interest hundreds of thousands of people.
Getting your Instagram verified can be a huge help in the confidence department. The awareness that you essentially belong to Instagram elite, achieving what most other influencers haven’t, will give you the self-assurance you need to exceed even your own expectations.
16. Getting ahead of the competitionWith more than half a million active influencers on Instagram, the competition is stiff. Instagram account verification is one of the best ways to stand out, especially in the beginning.
Contrary to popular opinion, not every influencer has a verified account. In fact, research has shown that only 20% (so 1 in 5) macro influencers on Instagram have a blue badge. A macro influencer is someone with a follower count between 100k and 1m – so we’re talking about highly popular individuals.
If only such a small proportion of macro influencers have verified accounts, it’s safe to assume that even fewer micro influencers (1k – 100k followers) do. So, even if you’re only just starting out on Instagram as a personal or corporate brand, the verified badge will go a long way towards setting you apart from the vast majority of other users, including professional Instagrammers.
17. Quicker growth on TikTokEven if Instagram is your main official communication channel, most brands focus on at least two social media platforms for marketing and promotion. For influencers and brands with a modern approach, TikTok has become an increasingly popular choice for their second social.
Instagram and TikTok make sense as a combination, particularly for personal brands, primarily because they are both visual platforms. They’re also popular with similar demographics, and TikTok is an especially good choice if you’re aiming to reach young audiences.
Just like with Facebook verification, having the badge on Instagram will make it infinitely easier to get verified on TikTok. There, too, being verified will make you stand out, particularly because most influencers have the ‘popular creator’ badge, rather than the universally recognized verified badge.
Once you’re verified on TikTok, many of the same mechanisms as those applying to Instagram verification will kick in. Assuming you post high-quality content, the verification badge will give you traffic and follower boosts, as well as creating more opportunities for branded content and collaborations.
18. Early access to special featuresAmong the more technical benefits of being verified on Instagram is the fact that you’ll get early access to special features.
For example, verified accounts can instantly access the swipe-up feature on stories. This tool enables you to place links within your Instagram stories, which is an obvious advantage for affiliate marketing in particular. Equally, if you’re working to promote your website or a brand deal product on your Instagram, the swipe-up feature will be invaluable.
Normally, users have to reach at least 10k followers to get access to this feature. By being able to access it sooner, you again get far ahead of the competition, as well as making it possible to start monetising your account more effectively much sooner.
19. You’ll gain top-tier publicity in the processOne of the main requirements to get verified on Instagram is that you have strong media coverage. Ideally, you need at least 8 to 10 articles focusing on you and/or your brand, presenting you in a positive light.
As well as the quantity of your press features, the quality of the publications is equally important. To be certain of successful verification, you need to aim for reputable, popular websites and magazines with a history of top-level journalism.
For the vast majority of influencers and brands, the help of a professional PR agency – like Famous Influencer – will be necessary to secure such a high-level press portfolio.
At Famous Influencer, we already have an extensive network of connections – including those with editors and writers – at high-tier publications. By hiring us, you can take advantage of our expertise and contacts to get the publicity you need to get verified on Instagram.
Naturally, this publicity will be yours to keep – once your account is verified, the press will stay online. After this one-time investment, you can keep taking advantage of your online popularity for your marketing efforts and verification on other platforms.
20. More income from your Instagram accountLast but certainly not least, if you verify your Instagram account, you’ll have much more scope for monetising your work.
Although for many influencers and brands a higher income is not the only goal, it’s undeniably important. For many, being able to earn at least a living wage from being a full-time influencer is a dream come true. If nothing else, you expect your account to bring in at least enough money to bring a return on the verification investment.
All of the above reasons to get verified on Instagram contribute to a higher income. More views mean more followers – more followers mean more effective affiliate marketing, as does early access to the swipe-up feature. Similarly, more collaborations and additional brand deals lead to higher earnings. With a verified account, you can go far beyond a living wage – you can make it as a full-time, successful influencer.
SummaryThis concludes our list of twenty reasons why Instagram verification is worth the investment. As you can see, the blue badge is about much more than just proving Instagram has checked your ID!
If you’d like to find out how our Instagram verification service works, get in touch today. We can help you get verified, no matter your experience and follower count.